Dear Mackenzie,
You and your best friend, Alexis, have been best friends for over seven years now. I know that middle school is a big change and that both of you are meeting new friends. This is a very good thing that you are branching out and meeting new people, but you must remember who has always been there for you. While, Alexis might be hanging out with new friends she will always have time for you. Even though she may make you angry at times you must always make time for her. Alexis has always been there for you through the ups and downs and she knows you better than anybody. Even when your emotions get the best of you, you must always make time for Lex. You may get angry and think that she is blowing you off for her new friends, but in her eyes you are doing the same thing to her.
I know that both of you have different friend groups, but I think you should be the bigger person and not leave anybody out. This means for you to invite Alexis and her friends to hangout with you and your friends. Trust me, you will soon realize that in high school the petty little cliques will disappear and everyone will become friends with everyone. Might as well start becoming friends with everyone now. If you are worried about what your new friends will think about the other girls and worried about if they make you choose, choose Alexis because she has always been your true friend.
Did you ever think you would be hurting her feelings if you left her out? She probably would be very upset with you. Being left out is not a good feeling. You should be mature enough to realize who your true friends are and who will always be there for you.
Yes, every friendship has its good share of fights, but do not let one fight ruin your whole friendship. If you ever get into a fight make sure u are calm and willing to listen. It is extremely important for you not to act defensive and blame everything on the other person. Listen to what she has to say, and be willing to compromise. Admit what you have done wrong and hopefully she would admit what she has done wrong too.
You know that sooner or later you will start to miss Alexis, no matter what new friends she has made. You guys had so many good times together and told each other everything. You can’t just throw all of that away for some new friends. It’s not a bad thing to have a lot of friends, just don’t forget about the old.
This whole situation could have been avoided if you both decided to keep in touch and make the effort to try and get both new groups of friends to hangout with each other. Alexis would have been very understanding and willing to want to make new friends and I know you would have wanted the same. Don’t be afraid to speak up.
Is a little fight/separation truly worth losing your best friend for two years? It definitely is not. Even, if both of you make mistakes, true friends will always stay together and make a friendship last. Please think about what truly matters and consider other people’s feelings first. I wouldn’t want you to regret losing a best friend for a little while, or even worse, forever!
Sincerely,
Yourself
Mackenzie, overall this letter was very well written. The only advice I would give you is to maybe talk about what yoor friendship would be like in the future.
ReplyDeleteThis is great, I really couldn't give you any advice on how to make it better because you know yourself better than I know you. I wrote about my best friend, as well and therefore I could definitely relate. Middle school is such a pivotal time in people's lives where everyone starts trying to find themselves and it could lead to loss of friendship for years or forever, even over something so miniscule.
ReplyDeleteMackenzie,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your letter. I could completely relate to it, considering my letter was almost exactly the same. I really could not give you any advice to make it better except maybe add what your future friendship could turn into.